Reply To: Some questions about karma

Forums Forums Sāńkhya Philosophy Some questions about karma Reply To: Some questions about karma

Ashish Dalela
Keymaster

The belly can say that I’m doing my job for my own sake. But if it benefits the whole body–including hands and legs–then it is not contrary to altruism. The action is altruistic. So, altruism after that is simply the change of mood, not change of activity. The belly can say: I will digest the food because it benefits the whole body instead of saying that I’m doing it for my own sake.

So, in terms of activity, there is no difference between the belly saying that I’m doing it for my sake or doing it for the sake of the whole body. But there is still a difference of mood.

When something is done for my well-being, that is called karma-yoga. And when something is done for the sake of the whole, that is called bhakti-yoga. But the activity is the same in the two cases, only the mood changes. Therefore, bhakti-yoga is also karma-yoga, but karma-yoga is not bhakti-yoga, because there is a difference of mood, although there is no difference in the activity.